The WG Portable Cell Phone Detector is one of the most versatile detectors on the market, its wide range of frequency detection and alarming options makes it ideal for any situation that may need cellular phone privacy or security.
The Portable Cell Phone Detector is a versatile state-of-the-art cellular phone detector. It senses the radio frequency (RF) transmissions from nearby cellular phones.
- If required, other sources of RF transmissions can also be detected including two-way radios, and other wireless communication devices;
- When a transmission is detected, an alarm sequence begins that may include any combination of visual LED flash, beeps and voice alert message requesting users to turn off their communication devices;
- In addition the unit can be used as a static or portable detector, and it can be used to generate remote alarms, activate third party hardware (including jammers, illuminated signs and pager alert systems) and extend alarm messages into other areas;
- In many cases the Portable Cell Phone Detector can be adjusted to detect cellular phones up to a maximum useful range of 30 metres, however in other cases the useful range can be much reduced by local RF conditions, put simply, detection range depends on how much interference there is at your installation;
- The user can adjust sensitivity which affects detection range, but detection range is also subject to factors outside of the user's control.
- Variables within the control of the user include:
- Position of the Thresh adjustment dial, this simple and quick method is usually all it takes to get the Portable Cell Phone Detector to work as desired;
- Signal type adjustment via utility software for more complex RF environments;
- The location of installation, for instance, intervening building work such as a pillar can prevent a signal from being detected;
- Mounting near or on a metallic surface can also reduce detection range and effectiveness;
- The main variable beyond the control of the user is distance to cellular base station, the nearer a cellular phone is to a base station or transmitting tower, the weaker will be the signal that needs to come from the phone, the weaker the signal, the shorter the detection range.
The Portable Cell Phone Detector may be used free standing on a shelf or table, carried in a shoulder bag for portable use (i.e. with headphones attached to the audio out socket), or fixed to a wall.
The following is relevant to a fixed installation:
- If the unit is to be battery operated or battery backed-up AC power, prior to putting the unit into service, install the batteries first;
- To make the unit easily visible to room occupants, place it above 2 metres from floor level, this will also help avoid unwanted impacts to the unit;
- For some applications it is desirable for the Portable Cell Phone Detector to be as unobtrusive as possible, if this is applicable then it may also be desirable to turn off the Flashing LED on the front of the unit;
- Mount the Portable Cell Phone Detector on any non-metallic surface or place it upright on a shelf or similar structure;
- Mounting the unit on or very near metal surfaces can significantly reduce the coverage area;
- Use 2.54 cm long, 3.5 mm dome head screws (not included), be sure the screws being used are appropriate for the mounting surface.
- Military bases: The Portable Cell Phone Detector should be installed in all sensitive zones as a method of management control, cautioning personnel to observe station regulations;
- Counter-surveillance: Consider covert detection with a concealed Portable Cell Phone Detector connected to a remote alarm;
- In addition to potential RAT phones, the device can detect bugs emitting RF within the specified band range;
- Use it in silent mode under a desk or as a discreet portable detector in a shoulder bag with an earpiece attached;
- It can also be connected to trigger third party hardware, to trigger digital camera to capture an image of a person using a phone in a restricted area;
- Prisons: Portable Cell Phone Detector may be placed free standing outside cell doors during 'lock up' hours with silent LED flash alert only, 10 or 20 pieces at a time at random or systematic sequence within prison wings to reduce illicit cellular phone activity;
- In addition, Portable Cell Phone Detector may be installed in entrance ways, corridors, waiting and meeting areas where inmates' visits are conducted as an audiovisual deterrent to mobile phone users, and as a means of alerting staff. the PMR channel will be switched OFF to prevent false alerts being triggered by prison staff 2 way radios;
- Courtrooms: Portable Cell Phone Detector units can be installed directly outside courtrooms with range set to near, LED flash, beeps and voice warning with volume set to medium as an overt reminder of establishment policy, inside the courtroom itself, a wall-mounted unit silently flashing in the public gallery may alert security staff;
- Hospitals: Portable Cell Phone Detector units can be installed in general locations in corridors and waiting rooms to deter nuisance public cellular phone usage, sensitive electronic equipment within intensive care wards and operating theatres that could be vulnerable to RF interference will have units installed near them with all signal types ON so that staff can be alerted to all RF in the room including non-cellular;
- Schools and colleges: Portable Cell Phone Detector units are installed in general locations in corridors, assembly points, concourses, classrooms and lecture theatres to promote establishment order, units are displayed in examination rooms to deter examination fraud via text messaging;
- Places of worship: Portable Cell Phone Detector units are installed as a deterrent at the main entrance with audio warning on low volume, where cellular phone misuse is a severe or persistent problem then units can be installed in the main prayer area with audio alert set to low volume, in addition, the device can trigger an illuminated sign as a silent deterrent in the main prayer area;
- Employee toilets and restrooms: Invisible Portable Cell Phone Detector units installed above false ceilings with LED flash disabled and voice alert volume set to maximum, this is a highly practical deterrent that will reduce time wasting within organisations and workplaces;
- Public buildings including libraries and museums: Portable Cell Phone Detector units can be installed in all areas with audio warning on low volume.
- Dimensions: 200 x 112 x 50mm;
- Weight: 0.4 kg;
- Speaker volume: User defined 0 - 82dB;
- Batteries: 4 x "C" (not included);
- Battery Life: 12 months circa typical 10 alarms per day;
- Low battery alert: Green LED flashes every 40 seconds rather than every 10 seconds as normal;
- Buzzer will sound every 6 minutes;
- Optional: External power 9V nominal 500mA DC supply, regulated or unregulated, range 8V to 13.5V, connector is a long DC jack with 5.5mm outer diameter, 2.1mm inner diameter, inner is +ve, Outer is -v;
- Audio Output: 3.5mm mono jack, unbalanced signal approx 1V pk-pk (-10dB), signal to tip, 0V to body;
- Remote alarm: 3.5mm mono jack, tip is signal output, ring is 0V, Signal is open collector type: high impedance when not alarm, low impedance to 0V to signal alarm;
- Maximum input voltage: 24V, maximum sink current 50mA;
- Terminal blocks pin: 1(top) = Alarm Out; Pin 2 = 0V for Alarm Out and Audio Out; Pin 3 = Audio Out; Pin 4 = external 9V DC power input; Pin 5 = external 0V power input;
- Operating temperature: 0° to 54°C.